The Halifax County manager's office is located in the Historic Courthouse at 10 North King Street, Halifax, NC 27839; phone: 252-583-1131.
The first permanent settlements in the area that would become Halifax County were in 1656 on the eastern side of the Chowan River. The first recorded land grants were on the Roanoke River and near the mouths of Kehukee and Quanky creeks. The earliest recorded grant is for William Jones in 1720, re-granted in 1723 to William Pope. The county was established in 1758 and named for Charles Montague, Earl of Halifax, who was at that time president of the British Board of Trade which had control of the commercial and economic affairs of the colonies.