Pender County Administrative Offices are located at 805 South Walker Street, Burgaw, NC 28425; phone: 910-259-1200.
The first explorers discovered what is now Pender County in 1524, but it was not until 1663 that the Barbados commissioners explored the northeast branch of the Cape Fear River. They named the community Rocky Point, which still remains today. While the area was settled by 1725, the County was not officially formed from New Hanover County until 1875. The Moores settled the area to the south at New Brunswick. The Lord proprietors, looking for good bottom land and tidal river transportation, settled a tract to the north for Welsh settlers. Commercial success followed and large plantations were built during this time. [Brief History of Pender County, Pender County Comprehensive Land Use Plan, 2010, www.pendercounty.gov, accessed September, 2012]