Burgaw Town Hall is located at 109 North Walker Street, Burgaw, NC 28425.
From the time of Pender County's creation, the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad promoted the establishment of a town at Burgaw Depot to serve as the political and commercial center of the county. In March of 1875 civil engineer W. H. James was employed by the railroad to determine the feasibility of the site. James laid out a town plan encompassing seventy-three acres, dividing it into blocks and lots and providing for streets, railroad facilities, and a centrally located courthouse. Other sites were set aside for churches, schools, and cemeteries. On 6 February 1878 the company formally deeded the town tract to the Pender County Board of Commissioners. In addition, it offered to transport at cost the confiscation of materials for public buildings and to make reduced rates available to the purchasers of individual lots. By June of 1878 some seventy-five lots had been sold. In recognition of the railroad's liberality, several of the new town's streets were named for company officials. In 1879, a year following the formal conveyance of the town site, Burgaw was incorporated by act of the General Assembly; and later this same year the name of the post office was shortened from "Burgaw Depot" to simply "Burgaw."
During the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries the area around Burgaw began to develop its full potential as a truck farming region. In addition to older staple crops, vast quantities of strawberries and other fruits and vegetables were produced for shipment by rail to northern markets.