Goldsboro City Hall is located at 200 North Center Street, Goldsboro, NC 27530.
The City of Goldsboro, situated in the heart of the eastern North Carolina bright leaf tobacco belt, developed mainly as a transportation center for the region's agricultural industry. In 1838, the railroad line from Wilmington, NC to Waynesboro, VA was completed and the Goldsborough Railroad Station was established. The station bears the name of Matthew T. Goldsborough, assistant engineer of the Wilmington and Waynesboro Railroad. A hotel was opened near the station and a small town soon began to develop.
In 1847 Goldsboro was incorporated. Soon after, city residents convinced the county voters that the county seat should be located at Goldsboro. In 1850, a county courthouse was built, and a town plan was prepared incorporating Center and Walnut streets as the main axes for a grid pattern of streets.
Goldsboro's importance as a transportation center increased in 1856 when the North Carolina Railroad connected Goldsboro to Charlotte, and again in 1858 when the railroad was completed from Goldsboro to Beaufort. As a consequence, Goldsboro was situated on two significant rail corridors.