Alloway Town Hall is located at 49 South Greenwich Street, Alloway NJ 08001.
100 Year Traditions of Brick Home Building [†]
Salem County was first settled by the Swedes in the mid-seventeenth century, but the European-derived population was very small until the arrival of John Fenwick and his English Quaker 'settlers in 1675. Within a generation of the settlement of Fenwick's colony, Salem County and Alloways Township in particular began establishing a tradition of building in brick (ie Isaac Smart House, 1698) which continued for over one hundred years. The best-known manifestations of this tradition are the patterned-end houses, over one hundred in number, built between 1720 and 1760.
† Penelope S. Watson, Watson and Henrey Associates, nomination document, Philip Fries House, 1989, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C., accessed February, 2022.
Nearby Towns: Woodstown Boro •