Elmer Borough Hall is located at 120 South Main Street, Elmer, NJ 08318.
Elmer was formed on the dividing line of Pittsgrove and Upper Pittsgrove Townships and incorporated as a borough via public referendum January 24, 1893. The town was named after Judge Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus Elmer, a jurist respected state-wide, who had presided over Salem County’s then-famous Treadway murder case and also produced the first compendium of New Jersey state statutes. As a Congressman, Elmer was largely responsible for securing a post office for the town. [www.elmerboroghnj.com/History.html, accessed March, 2022].
Elmer was originally called "Cohockan," which means "cedar swamp land," by Lenni Lenape Indians, who camped there while on hunting trips from Delaware. These Indians were a division of the Algonquin Tribe. Europeans named them "Delawares" after the Delaeare River near which most of them lived.
Elmer, designated a "Town Center" under the State's Master Plan, is a commercial center to the surrounding townships of Pittsgrove and Upper Pittsgrove. It is home to Baptist, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic and United Methodist churches; General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler Corp. auto dealerships, a diner, coffee and bagel shop, three pizza parlors/restaurants; four banking institutions, a candle/gift factory, and four candle/crafts/gift stores. The town has its own police and fire departments and ambulance corps.
Nearby Towns: Clayton Boro • Elk Twp •