Chester City Hall is located at 100 West End Street, Chester, SC 29706.
Chester was incorporated in 1840.
Chester as described in 1941 
Chester, seat of Chester County, is one of three South Carolina Towns (along with York and Lancaster) named by settlers who came from Pennsylvania soon after 1755. A placid town built around a brick-paved square, it is rimmed on the northeast by textile mills. In 1904 Dr. Gill Wylie, a native of Chester who became a prominent physician, helped to launch the hydroelectric development that brought many mills to the section. Farming persists, however, with an increased interest in cattle raising, though cotton is still the main crop.
The T-shaped Chester County Courthouse, York Street, one block north of the square, was erected in 1850 on the site of the old structure built in 1795. The two-story gray, stuccoed brick building is entered through a six-column pedimented portico that rests on an arcaded basement; windows have corniced headings supported on consoles. A memorial stone in front of the courthouse was erected by Chester gentiles to Jack Simons, a childless Jew who loved children.
In 1807, Aaron Burr, while under arrest for treason, here broke away from his guards, climbed on a big rock, and harangued a curious crowd before he was recaptured.