The Davidson County Courthouse is located at 1 Public Square, Nashville TN 37201; phone: 615-862-6000.
The creation of the county goes back to the 18th century when Middle Tennessee was still part of North Carolina. It was created by the North Carolina Legislature in 1783, and named in honor of William Lee Davidson, a Revolutionary War militia general who had died in 1781 at the Battle of Cowan's Ford which took place in Mecklenburg County.
On April 1, 1963 the governments of the City of Nashville and Davidson County were consolidated into a single "Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County," under which the boundaries of the City of Nashville and Davidson County are coextensive.
Nashville was also the oldest white settlement in Middle Tennessee (ca. 1779).
The executive and administrative powers are vested in the Mayor, who is elected at large for a four-year term. The Mayor is authorized to administer, supervise and control all departments and to appoint all members of boards and commissions.
The government is arranged to service two local "districts." The GSD (general services district) serves what was the pre-1963 county area. The USD (urban services district) the pre-1963 City of Nashville.