Photo: Home in the West Bountiful Historic District. The District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004. Photo by wikipedia username: Ntsimp, 2010, [public domain]; commons.wikimedia.org, accessed October, 2022.
The West Bountiful Historic District [†] boundary runs along the rear property lines of the buildings facing east on the west side of 800 West (Onion Street) from 400 North, north up to the north property line of the building at 1347 North 800 West; it then runs south along the front property line of the buildings facing east on the west side of 800 West and then crosses the street east to include the building at 790 West 1000 North; it continues south along the rear property lines of the buildings facing west on the east side of 800 West back to 400 North and includes the property located at 790 West 400 North. These boundaries were chosen because the highest concentration of contributing buildings in the town remains in this section. Several other contributing buildings are located outside of these boundaries, but because of non-historic infill and alterations that have rendered some historic buildings ineligible, the boundaries are confined to the described area (see map for more detail).
West Bountiful Settlement and Early Farming Era (1860s-1879)
Although there are a few settlement-era houses within the district boundaries, because of alterations and additions to two of them only one retains its architectural integrity. However, because they are some of the earliest buildings remaining in the district as well as in West Bountiful, they are included in this context. Buildings constructed during this era are typical of styles found in Utah during the same time; i.e., primarily vernacular Classical Revival with local interpretation and variation, and typically with later additions. The only contributing house from this era in the district is the Argyle/Smith House at 1165 North 800 West.
The original brick vernacular classical single-cell portion was built circa 1870J or possibly earlier, and received a later Italianate cross-wing addition. The circa 1870 Jedediah and Susan Grant house at 771 North 800 West is an early example of a vernacular Classical central passage type dwelling, although it is somewhat obscured by a later bungalow porch addition. The 1865 Theodore and Elizabeth Emery McKean House at 1057 North 800 West is the earliest verified house in the district. Because it has been covered in vinyl siding and has had the window sash replaced (in their original openings, however) it is also considered a noncontributing building, although with a little effort it could be returned to contributing status. This Temple Form-type house, a type associated with the Greek Revival style, was not as popular as the hall-parlor, centralpassage, or double-cell types in Utah and only a few remain in the entire state.
Prosperous Farming Community Era (1880-1909)
Houses dating from this period encompass several types and styles. Types include the cross-wing, central block with projecting bays, and the rectangular block. The oldest homes from this time were built in the Picturesque Italianate style. The Horace and Hannah Adams Eldredge house from 1882 at 647 North 800 West, is built with a cross-wing plan and is one of only two remaining Italianate-style homes in the district. The Adelbert and Edith Eldredge home from 1898 at 675 North 800 West is an excellent example of an ornate central block with projecting bays, built in the Victorian Eclectic style. Numerous projecting gabled bays dwarf a central block with pyramidal roof, one including a conical tower. The Richard and Nell Parrish Pelton house at 1301 North 800 West is a late example of a pyramidal central block with small projecting bay. Constructed of rock-faced concrete block in 1910, this two-story home dates from the end of the Victorian era.
Farming and Industry Era (1910-1954)
Three types and styles of residential building stock can be found from this period. The Prairie School style influence in Bungalows and Foursquare houses was popular in most of Utah in the early twentieth century although the influence was typically in details rather than overall form. The Pack/Newton house at 666 North 800 West is an example of a larger foursquare type with slight Prairie School style influence. Built in 1923, this two-story house uses the same roofline, port cochere, and wide spanning porch that were elements of the Prairie School style to focus on the horizontal lines of the bungalow, but the full second level and larger footprint expanded the house size for the wealthy Mr. Pack. Several examples of the period cottage type can be found in the district as well. Dating from the late 1920s to early 1940s, these homes can have several subtle stylistic differences but the only style found in West Bountiful is the English Cottage (or English Tudor). Small footprints, steeply pitched asymmetrical gables over entrances, and bricks mixed with stucco are typical. The Telford House at 860 North 800 West from 1939 is an excellent example. This home was moved in the 1950s to its current location to prevent demolition during the construction of nearby Interstate-15. World War II Era Cottages were constructed during the last ten years of the historic period (roughly 1940-1950). Their type is similar to period cottages in the constricted size (usually only one story above ground), and reduction of hallways, however their floor plans are usually less rectangular and the interiors more boxy. The World War II Era Cottage typically has only token historic reference, in a style known as Minimal Traditional. The home at 859 North 800 West is a good example of this contextual type and style.
Post Historic Era (1955-present)
Some housing stock exists within the district from after the historic period. The houses at 926 North and 1160 North 800 West are both examples of later ranch-type homes. The duplex at 445-461 North 800 West and the home at 1130 North 800 West are two examples of morerecently constructed dwellings in the district. The two non-residential buildings within the district all date from outside the historic period and are considered noncontributing at this time. The LDS Second/Third Ward chapel at 830 North 800 West was dedicated in 1974. The West Bountiful Town Hall at 450 North 800 West was dedicated in December 1961, and is an interesting example of mid-twentieth-century architecture in a public building.
Rapid population growth along the Wasatch Front in Utah has resulted in most outlying cities and towns of Salt Lake City becoming suburbanized bedroom communities. West Bountiful has been affected by that growth, losing much of its farm and pastureland to residential subdivisions in the past couple of decades. The area within the boundaries of the West Bountiful Historic District represents the best concentration of extant historic resources and landscape remaining in the historic core of this former agricultural community. The historic district best reflects the historical and architectural development of the community and retains the finest collection of historic buildings in the city.
† Adapted from: Polly S. Hart and Utah SHPO Staff, West Bountiful CLG, West Bountiful Historic District, nomination document. 2003, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.
North 800 West • Onion Street