Photo: Colonial Apartments (Kennedy Dairy Barn), ca. 1900, 2 East Garden Lane, Fairmont, WV. Former dairy barn converted to residential apartments in 1942. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006. Photographed by User:Generic1139 (own work), 2013, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed June, 2014.
The Marion County Courthouse is located at 219 Adams Street, Fairmont, WV 26554; phone: 304-367-5440.
Marion County was established in 1842 from parts of Harrison and Monongalia counties. The name of Middletown was changed to Fairmont in 1843, becoming the county seat. The county is named for General Francis Marion [1732-1795], Revolutionary War hero who is often regarded as the father of modern guerrilla warfare which earned him the nickname: "The Swamp Fox."