Photo: Emma J. Harvat and Mary E. Statch House (De Saint Victor House), ca. 1918, 332 East Davenport Street, Iowa City, IA. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000. Photographed by user:Zachary Roper (own work), 2012, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed December, 2013.
Iowa City Hall is located at 410 East Washington Street, Iowa City, IA 52240.
Iowa City is the county seat of Johnson County, and the most notable for being the home of The University of Iowa and the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. The University is located in the center of the community and is by far the area's largest employer. With approximately 30,000 students, the University contributes greatly to the economy and culture of Iowa City.
The Iowa City Area was first populated by the Sac and Fox Indian tribes. The first settlers of European descent arrived in the Iowa City area in the late 1820s and eventually established the town of Napoleon around 1838. Iowa City was platted and chosen as the capitol of the Iowa Territory in 1839. In that year, construction began on a capitol building (Old Capitol), which is now located at the center of The University of Iowa campus and is a focal point for the city. The University was founded in 1847 but did not begin classes until 1855 due to a lack of funds. In 1857 the state capitol was moved from Iowa City to Des Moines. Old Capitol now serves as a museum on The University of Iowa campus.