Sullivan City Hall is located at 32 North Court Street, Sullivan, IN 47882.
The City of Sullivan is in Hamilton Township near the geographic center of Sullivan County, Indiana. The county is in southwestern Indiana and is bordered by Illinois and the Wabash River to the west, Vigo County to the north, Greene County to the east and Knox County to the south.
The City of Sullivan is the county seat. Named for Revolutionary War hero Daniel Sullivan in 1872, Sullivan County was formed from Knox County and has experienced six boundary changes since 1821. Carlisle was the first temporary county seat during the formation of Sullivan County; Merom then became the county seat and remained so until about 1842. During this year the City of Sullivan was founded so the county seat could be moved to the center of the county.
Sullivan County's original courthouse held most of the city and county's early records. Unfortunately, many of these files were destroyed in a fire when the courthouse burned down in February 1850. The current Sullivan County Courthouse was constructed in 1926 by architect John Bayard of Vincennes. The elaborate design of the new courthouse displayed details that classified the style as Beaux Arts. The building is surrounded by nineteenth and twentieth century commercial buildings.
Sullivan's original Central School was constructed in 1914. It served all grades until present-day's Sullivan elementary, middle, and high school were built. The city's central location and recreational opportunities are its trademarks. The county's lakes and parks make it one of the leading recreational counties in this area of the Midwest. Historically, the industry of the city and county was centered on agriculture and coal mining.