The Emery-Price Historic District contains 134 structures along or part of 13 blocks in downtown Covington, Kentucky. The district is composed primarily of pre-1900 residential structures constructed in the late Greek Revival, Queen Anne, Italianate, Second Empire and Colonial Revival designs. Within the district are 104 contributing and 30 non-contributing buildings. While some commercial encroachment has occurred on the northern edges of the district the area remains primarily residential in character.
The area encompassed by the district is composed of flat terrain with the streets divided into a standard north/south and east/west grid. The land averages approximately 50' to 55' above the level of the Licking River and Ohio River. To the north of the district is the Licking-Riverside Historic District. To the west is the main commercial area of the city and the Downtown Commercial Historic District. To the east is the floodwall of the Licking River and the modern Price Housing Projects. On the south of the district is a continuation of older architecture on rectangular blocks in the proposed Helentown District.
The Emery-Price Historic District is bounded on the north by Eighth Street, on the west by rear lot lines of properties facing Scott Street and Madison Avenue, on the south by Lynn, RobbLns and Eleventh streets and on the east by Greenup Street and an irregular line at the rear of properties along Greenup Street, Robbins Street and Lynn Street.
The Emery-Price Historic District is a significant collection of pre-1900 architecture located near downtown Covington, Kentucky. The district is significant through its architecture and also as a center for Covington's black population since 1900. The majority of properties were built between ca. 1840 and 1900 in late Greek Revival, Italianate and Queen Anne designs. The district has been primarily a middle and working class neighborhood adjacent to the commercial area of Covington.
Much of the Emery-Price district was settled after 1840 by German and Irish immigrants. One block south of the district at 12th and Greenup German residents built St. Joseph's Church (now demolished) which was a center for German residents for much of the 19th century. By 1880 most lots in the Emery-Price area had been settled with one to two-story brick and frame homes.
By the late 19th century the Emery-Price area became one of the centers for Covington's small black population. One of the first black schools was located on Robbins Street near Madison (now demolished) and the district was home to many of the city's black professionals. The 9th Street Methodist Church adjacent to the district served a black congregation beginning in 1880. One of the major leaders of the black community was the Reverend Jacob Price who was a successful merchant, minister and community leader. He helped establish several churches in the neighborhood and promoted black education. The Jacob Price Homes which are located on the eastern edge of the district are named in his honor. The Lincoln-Grant School was the major black school of the 20th century in Covington and still stands on Greenup Street.
While some demolition and alterations to structures has occurred within the district most properties display their original architectural detailing. Within the district are fine examples of Victorian architecture including the notable Queen Anne Emery Row rowhouse on Scott Boulevard. The district continues to be an important center for Covington's black population and the area is a center for city directed rehabilitation efforts.
† Eastside Multiple Resource Area, Emery=Price Historic District, nomination document, 1986, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.
10th Street East • 11th Street East • 8th Street East • 9th Street East • Greenup Street • Lynn Street • Robbins Street East • Scott Street