New Buffalo City Hall is located at 224 West Buffalo Street. New Buffalo, MI 49117.
The creation of the City of New Buffalo [†] was the result of a violent October storm in 1834. During the storm Captain Wessell Whit- taker's schooner, Post Boy, ran aground at State Creek near what is now the present Village of Grand Beach. The captain and crew survived, but had to walk 15 miles south to Michigan City to reach a settlement. Struck by the beauty of the wooded area and the ad- vantages of the natural harbor created by the junction of Lake Michigan, the Galien River, and Potawatomi Lake, Whittaker quickly filed a land claim. He then laid out plans for a city that he named New Buffalo, after his hometown of Buffalo, New York. Whittaker convinced some of his close friends of the value of the property and persuaded them into a partnership. Certain that they would make fortunes in real estate speculation, they began the settlement of New Buffalo.
On March 28, 1836, a year before Michigan became a state, the Village of New Buffalo was formed and Alonzo Bennett became its first president. Land prices in the area increased rapidly until 1841, a year that was marked by a severe winter and the start of a brief economic decline as well as the death of Captain Whittaker. The faithful few that remained in New Buffalo during that year kept their spirits alive with hope for better days. Their faithfulness was rewarded. With the arrival of spring, many of the old settlers returned and the economy rebounded.
The City of New Buffalo has grown in popularity for Chicagoans as a tourist destination. Beautiful marinas, condos, beaches and a quaint downtown area provide an ideal atmosphere for all. New Buffalo is the proud owner of a beautiful harbor, perfect for recreational purposes. It has a number of sandy beaches that add to the beauty of the area.