Pennsville administrative offices are located at 90 North Broadway, Pennsville, NJ 08070.
Beginnings Shortly after the Swedes and Finns settled in Wilmington, Delaware in 1638, they migrated across the Delaware River into New Jersey where they found the area more suited to farming for those who were not interested in the trade business. The majority of the Finns settled near the Finn’s Point Lighthouse, and the Swedes near the area that had at one time been called Churchtown.
When the early colonists arrived, there were three clans of the Lenni-Lenape tribe living in the area along the Delaware River which they called Shanaigah. Obisquahassit was the name of the old Indian Chief who sold land to the settlers. Records of land purchases date back to 1665.S
everal early homes within our Township have been preserved as private residences, six of which are pre-revolutionary, built between 1726 and 1775.