Schuylerville Village Hall is located at 35 Spring Street, Schuylerville, NY 12871.
Photo: Bullard Block and Broad Street, circa 1880s, in downtown Schuylerville. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2009. Photographed by User: Kenneth C. Zirkel, own work, 2012, [cc-3.0], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed April 2023.
The village promotional tagline is "America's Most Historic Village."
Schuylerville was incorporated April 16, 1831. It lies at the confluence of Fish Creek and the Hudson River.
Schuylerville is situated on a strategic junction of north-south and east-west prehistoric trails and thus was developed by Europeans in the early contact period. The area benefitted immensely from its association with, and ownership by, one of New York's true founding families — the Schuylers. In 1684 Governor Dongan granted a 12 mile wide strip of land on both sides of the Hudson River known as the Saratoga Patent, to Peter Schuyler (1657-1724), Robert Livingston (1654-1728) and several other investors. The Schuyler family established farming and milling operations on the lands which became Schuylerville by 1702. The location of the settlement on the frontier led to it seeing fortification and action during the colonial borders war (specifically King George's War and the Seven Years War) and the American Revolution where it played an integral role in the battles of Saratoga. General Phillip Schuyler (1733-1804) came into possession of Schuyler lands at age fourteen. Over the next decades, Schuyler steadily developed numerous milling and manufacturing operations on his holdings. The Early National Period brought true, sustained peace to the area for the first time since European settlement, and Schuyler used the opportunity to both repair war-damaged industries and to develop more-refined road infrastructure along the prehistoric trail routes. Phillip Jeremiah Schuyler (1768-1835) continued in his father's footsteps, serving as a State Assemblyman (1797-1798) and U.S. Congressman (1818-1819) while working to improve his holdings in Schuylerville.
Schuyler at one time owned nearly the entire present-day village of Schuylerville, and used his influence to ensure his lands would benefit greatly from the proposed Champlain Canal. Not only did the canal pass directly through his lands, but he also brought about the construction of a large basin with dockage in Schuylerville as part of the canal project. The present village of Schuylerville was incorporated April 16, 1831 and became a seat of transportation, industry and commerce due to its association with the Champlain Canal. The community developed into a major port for the trans-shipment of goods and produce and prospered because of its milling, timbering and farming operations that produced potatoes, grain, milled lumber and numerous other products. Like other canal communities, the form, street pattern and architecture developed in relation to the waterway. By the 1850s the Schuylerville extended from the canal along 5 primary north-south streets (Broad, Canal, Church, Pearl and Greene) and contained approximately 200 buildings. Schuylerville continued to grow throughout the next several decades, benefitting from the prosperity of the Champlain Canal. 1883 saw railroad service extended to Schuylerville from nearby Saratoga via an extension of the Boston, Hoosac Tunnel and Western Railroad. Local service provided by the Hudson Valley Railway's interurban trolley gave the residents of Schuylerville increased access to Albany, Warrensburg, Greenwich, Saratoga Springs, and beyond.
Nearby Towns: Greenwich Vlg • Northumberland Town • Saratoga Town • Victory Vlg •