Stanardsville Town Hall is located at 19 Celt Road, Stanardsville, VA 22973.
The Town of Stanardsville was established in 1794 by William Stanard, a grandson of an original land grantee in the area. He subdivided 45 acres of his land into half-acre lots, and platted them along an even street grid. Within a year, a tavern was built to meet the needs of travelers on their way from Richmond over the Blue Ridge mountains. Two original houses from this time period remain on the east side of Stanardsville Run. By the early 19th century, the Town had grown into a thriving community with numerous services. The Federal-style Lafayette Hotel was built in 1840. Originally a hotel and restaurant, the property served many different functions, before being restored to its original intent.
Greene County, once part of Orange County, was officially designated as an independent county in 1838, and Stanardsville was selected as the County seat. The Civil War and an ensuing economic depression halted growth in Stanardsville for several years, but development began to increase by the end of the 19th century. Homes with Queen Anne, Victorian, Italianate, and Federalist architectural features began to fill in the Town of Stanardsville. The construction of Greene County's first major school, William Monroe School, in Stanardsville in 1925 and the creation of the Shenandoah National Park in the following decade were formative events for the Town.
Nearby Towns: Quinque • Ruckersville •