The Cazenovia Village Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. Portions of the content on this web page were adapted from a copy of the original nomination document. 
The Cazenovia Village Historic District, comprised of 360 contributing components*, encompasses the historic residential, commercial, civic and religious core of the large and prosperous village of Cazenovia. The Cazenovia Historic District envelopes the Albany Street Historic District and Lorenzo, listed on the National Register on October 10, 1978 and February 18, 1971, respectively, thereby including all intact, contiguous historic resources in the village. Located on the southeast shore of Cazenovia Lake in the heart of the predominantly rural, agrarian town of Cazenovia, the village is characterized by a wide variety of relatively sophisticated architectural and historic resources which together reflect Cazenovia's regional prominence as a commercial, cultural, educational and recreational center. The approximately 420-acre, irregularly shaped district encompasses sections of Albany**, Forman, Carpenter, Emory, Green, Hurd, Sullivan, Union, Liberty, Nickerson, Lincklaen, Seminary, Allen**, South**, Mill** and Chenango Streets, Willow Place, Ledyard Avenue, Rippleton Road and Riverside Drive. Included in the district are 308 primary buildings (261 of which are contributing), 95 contributing outbuildings and/or secondary components, two village greens, a village park, a dam, and undeveloped open and wooded land associated with several expansive estates. The Cazenovia Village Historic District is bounded roughly on the north, southwest and south by the village line, beyond which the rural character of the surrounding town predominates, and on the west by Cazenovia Lake. Lincklaen, Mill and Chenango Streets, running north-south, form the eastern boundary of the district, beyond which the remainder of the densely developed village is characterized by scattered modern commercial buildings and large residential neighborhoods comprised of substantially altered older dwellings and scattered modern dwellings.
The current street patterns and ambiance of the streetscapes survive in their historic configurations and appearances. The core of the village and the focal point of the Cazenovia Village Historic District is Albany Street (Route 20), the heavily travelled east-west thoroughfare bisecting Cazenovia. Albany Street is the central business district out of which the major historic residential streets radiate to the north, northeast and southeast. The quiet, tree-lined residential streets (Lincklaen, Sullivan, Hurd, Mill and Chenango Streets) and their cross-streets are characterized by a wide variety of dwellings on small, landscaped village lots. Southwest of Albany Street, along Ledyard Avenue and Rippleton Road, is an expansive, sparsely populated section of the village dominated by the earliest and some of the best examples of estates in Cazenovia.
The historic building stock of the Cazenovia Village Historic District is comprised of a wide variety of architectural types and styles dating from ca.1790 to ca.1935. Included are residential, commercial, religious and civic structures executed in wood, brick or stone. They are designed in a broad range of nineteenth and early twentieth century styles, including Federal, Greek Revival, Gothic Revival, Italianate, Romanesque Revival, Queen Anne, Eastlake, Shingle, Colonial Revival and Neoclassical. Examples of vernacular, eclectic and transitional interpretations of the major styles survive as well. One and one-half to two-story frame dwellings with early-nineteenth to early-twentieth century stylistic features predominate throughout the residential neighborhoods. Most are sheathed with clapboard or shingle siding, in some instances inappropriately covered with modern siding. Two- to four-story attached masonry structures with mid- to late-nineteenth century stylistic features dominate the central business district. Examples of nineteenth and early-twentieth century religious and civic architecture, generally of masonry construction and embodying a wide variety of stylistic features, are found near the central business district. Large, elegant mansions executed in wood, brick and/or stone comprise the village's estate architecture. In addition to the primary buildings, numerous historic, substantially intact outbuildings survive as well. Included as contributing components of the district is a variety of late nineteenth century carriage houses and barns and early twentieth century garages. (The garages generally date from the period during which many of Cazenovia's older structures received a variety of "modernizations," including the addition of restrained Colonial Revival style embellishment.) Most carriage houses, barns and garages are small, one- to one and one-half story frame buildings. A few brick smokehouses survive as well.
The following street-by-street description of the Cazenovia Village Historic District incorporates expanded and updated descriptions of Lorenzo and of the properties included in the Albany Street Historic District.
Most of Albany Street, along with sections of several cross-streets (including Lincklaen, Allen, South and Mill Streets), was included in the Albany Street Historic District. Albany Street is a broad, tree-lined street with a wide variety of architectural types, periods and styles represented. As the first street laid out when the village was planned in 1794, Albany Street includes some of the oldest extant buildings in Cazenovia. As Cazenovia's primary commercial center and most fashionable residential street throughout the nineteenth century, it includes a high concentration of Cazenovia's finest architectural and historic resources. Visual highlights of the streetscape include the village green and Lakeland Park.
Occupying the eastern end of Albany Street is Cazenovia's most significant concentration of historic commercial architecture. The densely developed blocks between Center and Lincklaen Streets on the north and Mill and Allen Streets on the south are characterized by two- to four-story, three-bay rows of attached masonry structures with scattered examples of larger and/or frame construction. A broad range of architectural periods and styles is represented, including the 1832 Federal style Madison County Bank (51 Albany Street), the large and elegant Greek Revival style Lincklaen House (ca.1832, 79 Albany Street) several restrained Greek Revival style buildings dating from the early 1830s and 1840s (54-62 and 47-49 Albany Street, respectively), numerous Italianate style structures dating from the third quarter of the nineteenth century (concentrated primarily along the north side of the street), and several early twentieth century buildings, most notably the Neoclassical style firehouse (90 Albany St.). One of the most outstanding features of Cazenovia's commercial architecture is the survival of numerous intact, original storefronts, many with a high degree of sophisticated details, often executed in cast iron. East of the central business district, just beyond the intersection of Center, Mill and Albany Streets, the character of Albany Street changes dramatically. The district boundary was drawn to include five nineteenth-century frame residences on small, landscaped lots on the south side of the street. They date from ca.1830 to ca.1870 and embody a broad range of architectural styles and levels of sophistication. The Cazenovia Public Library (ca.1830, 100 Albany St.), an elegant Greek Revival style, temple-front former residence, is the focal point of the group. The north side of this section of Albany Street contains scattered, modern commercial structures and severely altered, older buildings and is therefore excluded from the district. Just beyond the eastern boundary of the district, Albany Street crosses over the Chittenango Creek as it flows north. (This area was the focal point of Cazenovia's nineteenth-century industrial activity. Twentieth-century development has all but destroyed all evidence of Cazenovia's industrial history.) Large residential enclaves east and northeast of this section of Albany Street contain relatively modest nineteenth-century dwellings, which, as a group, lack integrity and distinction.
West of the central business district, the center section of Albany Street is dominated by the village green, a small, grassy, tree-lined open space on the south side of the street. Established as a public space when the village was first laid out, the green was originally the hub of the village's late eighteenth and early nineteenth century development. The earliest commercial buildings no longer survive (the commercial core having moved eastward by the 1830s), but several sophisticated residences from the Federal and Greek Revival periods survive intact. Facing the west side of the green is one of Cazenovia's oldest extant structures, the Michael Day Tavern (ca.1795), a two-story, five-bay center-hall building. Opposite the village green, on the north side of Albany Street, is the First Presbyterian Church, an 1806 frame building with late nineteenth century, picturesque embellishment. Prominently sited on a broad grassy lawn next to the large, Italianate style manse, the church dominates this section of Albany Street.
West of the village green is Cazenovia's most fashionable nineteenth-century residential enclave. Slight alterations have compromised the integrity of scattered individual dwellings, but the overall integrity of the streetscape conveys a sense of Cazenovia's nineteenth-century wealth and prosperity. Elegant buildings on large, landscaped lots characterize this section of Albany Street, particularly along the north side of the street. Most are executed in wood and are clapboard-sided; a broad range of periods and styles is represented. Particularly noteworthy residences include the Gothic Cottage and White Lilacs. The Gothic Cottage (ca.1847, 7 Albany Street, currently the Cazenovia Town Offices) is an outstanding Gothic Revival style board-and-batten cottage with elaborate bargeboards; White Lilacs (ca.1835, 9 Albany Street) is an elegant Greek Revival style brick dwelling.
Lake Park, a 5.16-acre village park on the southeast shore of Cazenovia Lake, is the visual and physical terminus of Albany Street. (The park was not included in the existing Albany Street Historic District.) The park is landscaped with broad, grassy lawns and scattered trees and shrubbery and a small parking lot. Additional features of the park include two contributing structures, the 1885/1930 stone pier and the 1839 wrought-iron fence, and three non-contributing components, a concrete block and steel bandstand, a concrete block storage facility and a brick bathhouse.
Southwest of Albany Street, the Cazenovia Village Historic District includes sections of Forman, Carpenter and Willow Streets, Rippleton Road and Ledyard Avenue. The southernmost block of Forman Street, a north-south thoroughfare which follows the east shore of the lake, serves as the hyphen which links Albany Street (Route 20) with Ledyard Avenue (Route 20, continued) and Rippleton Road (Route 13, the major southern egress). The west side of this section of Forman Street is bordered by Lakeland Park. The east side of the street features a small collection of relatively sophisticated, late nineteenth century, middle-class frame dwellings notable for their Italianate and picturesque, Eastlake style features. Just south of the group, Carpenter Street bears off to the east. The short street, a mid- to late-nineteenth century, working-class residential enclave, is characterized by relatively small, vernacular frame dwellings on the north elevation and Carpenter Pond, a former mill pond, on the south elevation. The east end of Carpenter Street abuts Willow Street, a short, north-south residential street connecting Carpenter Street with Albany Street. Willow Street contains relatively modest, vernacular dwellings and a collection of notable Italianate style dwellings; most date from the nineteenth century.
Just south of the intersection of Carpenter and Forman Streets, beyond the bridge over the Chittenango Creek, is the major intersection of Forman Street with Ledyard Avenue and Rippleton Road. Dominating the northwest corner of the intersection is the Carpenter Barn (ca.1889), an imposing, rusticated stone and frame structure with Romanesque Revival and Queen Anne style features. The structure is the former carriage barn associated with the no longer extant estate of the Carpenter family ("Lakeland," the site of which is now Lakeland Park). Branching off to the southwest and then due west is Ledyard Avenue, a broad, heavily travelled thoroughfare containing the village's greatest concentration of estate architecture spanning nearly a century of Cazenovia's development. These elegant mansions on large, landscaped lots overlooking or bordering the south shore of the lake evoke the wealth and sophistication of Cazenovia's early- to late-nineteenth century aristocracy. A variety of types and periods of estate architecture is represented, including Lorenzo, the settlement period estate of John Lincklaen, and several late nineteenth century lakeside summer "cottages." Lorenzo, listed on the National Register on February 18, 1971, is an elegant Federal style brick mansion commanding a view of the south end of the lake. The main house, formal gardens and complex of contributing outbuildings occupy an 84-acre estate, 66 acres of which fall within the village proper. (The entire 84 acres were listed on the National Register in 1971; thus, in this case, the western boundary of the Cazenovia Village Historic District extends beyond the corporate limit of the village to the railroad right-of-way which defines the western edge of the Lorenzo estate. The southern boundary of Lorenzo, and therefore of the Cazenovia Village Historic District, is determined by the village line) The notable "cottages" include the Brewster Inn, Lakelawn, the Oaks and Weltevreden, large, late Victorian eclectic style mansions. Beyond the grouping of estates is the village line which defines the boundary of the Cazenovia Village Historic District, beyond which the rural character of the surrounding town is evident, much of which has been compromised recently by scattered pockets of modern development along Route 20.
Leading south from the aforementioned intersection is Rippleton Road, the heavily travelled Route 13 to DeRuyter. Less dense than other sections of the village, Rippleton Road is characterized by a wide variety of residences. The entire east side of the road is occupied by the Meadows, the expansive, nineteenth-century estate of the Ledyard family. The main house and five contributing outbuildings are set way back from the street on an 84.86-acre estate well-secluded from the street by thick rows of trees. The elegant Federal style residence (ca.1825) is characterized by a formal, traditional two-story, five-bay, center-hall plan and is embellished with sophisticated, classically inspired details.
The west side of Rippleton Road is characterized by a small collection of small, cottage-like dwellings, some of which originally were outbuildings associated with Weltevreden (Ledyard Avenue) or the Meadows. Executed in wood, the one- to one and one-half story cottages embody a variety of picturesque, late-nineteenth century features. South of the Meadows and the cottages, the Cazenovia Village Historic District boundary is drawn to coincide with the village line, beyond which the rural character of the town predominates. (Abutting the boundary on the east side of Rippleton Road is the Meadows Farm, Individual Component of the multiple resource area nomination. It is included as an individual property partly because it is located beyond the corporate limits of the village and partly because, as a rural farmhouse with extensive acreage, it is not compatible with the character of the Cazenovia Village Historic District.)
North and northwest of Albany Street, the Cazenovia Village Historic District encompasses a large residential neighborhood comprised of sections of Forman, Emory, Green, Hurd and Sullivan Streets. The visual focal point of this section of Forman Street is Willowbank, the former Fairchild family estate. The main house (ca.1811), occupying a large, lakeside lot on the west side of the street, is a large, Federal period frame mansion with a variety of mid- and late-nineteenth century additions and embellishments. Separated from the main house by twentieth century subdivisions is the Fairchild Law Office, a smooth-faced stone building dating from the mid-nineteenth century. Occupying the subdivisions are non-contributing, mid-twentieth century lakeside cottages. The east side of this section of Forman Street is dominated by the Old Manse (ca.1806), a two-story, five-bay Federal style frame residence formerly associated with the First Presbyterian Church (Albany Street). The remainder of the east side of Forman Street is characterized by a small group of relatively modest and individually undistinguished nineteenth-century dwellings, but in scale, form and use of materials, they are consistent with the character of the Cazenovia Village Historic District.
Green and Emory Streets form the northwest corner of the Cazenovia Village Historic District. The focal point of this neighborhood is the Green, a wide, grassy median bounded on the north by Emory Street and on the south by Green Street, both running east-west. A variety of buildings face the Green, including the prominent Cazenovia High School, a large brick and stone, Colonial Revival style structure on the west end of Emory Street. Built in the 1920s, a series of mid- and late-twentieth century additions have compromised the original integrity of the school; it is therefore excluded from the district. (The school occupies the original site of the 1806 Presbyterian Church which, in 1826, was moved to the village green on Albany Street.) On the north side of Emory Street between Hurd and Sullivan Streets is a small collection of frame residences overlooking the Green. Particularly notable are the two Dutch Colonial Revival style dwellings at 5 and 7 Emory Street, distinguished by their gambrel roofs and classically inspired detailing. Overlooking the Green from the south side of Green Street, between Forman and Sullivan Streets, is a grouping of relatively modest, turn-of-the-century and early twentieth century frame dwellings, several of which are not yet contributing, due to their age of less than fifty years. St. James Roman Catholic church, a modern, sprawling one-story brick complex, dominates the intersection of Hurd and Green Streets. (The complex replaces the congregation's 1852 edifice which was razed in 1970.)
Hurd and Sullivan Streets are the north-south thoroughfares connecting the northwest section of the Cazenovia Village Historic District with the center of Albany Street. Hurd Street includes a variety of middle-class frame dwellings dating from the mid-nineteenth to the early twentieth centuries. Notable concentrations of buildings include the large Queen Anne/Colonial Revival style, turn-of-the-century dwellings on the west side of the street (15, 17, 19 and 21) and the ca.1860s Italianate style dwellings on the east side (8, 10 and 16).
Sullivan Street, bisecting the Cazenovia Village Historic District, is much longer and slightly more densely settled than Forman, Emory, Green and Hurd Streets. It was originally one of Cazenovia's most fashionable residential streets, as evidenced by the numerous examples of relatively elegant, sophisticated middle-class residences. Most are executed in wood and range in date from the 1820s to the 1930s with occasional mid-twentieth century intrusions. The oldest dwellings are scattered homogeneously throughout the streetscape from the southern to the northern end; later dwellings are also evenly distributed, having been erected on subdivided lots between the oldest dwellings or replacing earlier dwellings. The south end of Sullivan Street, just north of its intersection with Albany Street, has suffered some loss of integrity due to its proximity to the western, more modern end of the central business district. However, the outstanding Federal style DeClerg House (ca.1829, 7 Sullivan St.) anchors the south end of the street, enhanced by its proximity to the First Presbyterian Church and manse which face Albany Street and the village green.
The large, brick institutional buildings of Cazenovia College dominate the east side of the central section of Sullivan Street. The Cazenovia College campus occupies the large block bounded on the west by Sullivan Street, on the north by Nickerson Street, on the east by Lincklaen Street and on the south by Seminary Street. This "island" of non-contributing modern and extensively altered older buildings has been excluded from the district, but Joy Hall, located on the northwest corner of the campus (at the intersection of Sullivan and Nickerson Streets), is included. Formerly a private residence (currently housing the college's administrative offices), Joy Hall (ca.1851) is an outstanding example of a Greek Revival style, temple-front frame building. Properties on the west side of Sullivan Street opposite the college are predominantly vernacular, middle-class residences dating from ca.1830 to ca.1920.
North of the Green/Nickerson/Sullivan Streets intersection, development along Sullivan Street is initially quite dense, but decreases dramatically further north. Spanning nearly a century, these frame dwellings embody a variety of styles and levels of sophistication, with noteworthy Federal style structures and Italianate style structures predominating. The northernmost properties, particularly on the east side, occupy much larger lots and are generally more secluded from the street by rows of trees. The west side of the northernmost end of Sullivan Street is excluded from the district as it is heavily wooded, undeveloped land containing no structures. North of the Cazenovia Village Historic District boundary is the village line, beyond which the rural character of the town is evident.
East of Sullivan Street and north of the college campus, the district boundary is drawn to include a small residential block delineated by Sullivan, Union, Liberty and Nickerson Streets. Vernacular and eclectic interpretations of the late Federal/early Greek Revival and Italianate styles predominate. The enclave consists of a homogeneous collection of one and one-half to two-story, three-bay frame dwellings typical of the period. The fieldhouse and playing fields of the college campus abut the north and east edges of this block; the core of the campus (the excluded "island" of modern buildings) abuts the south side of the block.
Lincklaen Street, radiating north then northwest from the east end of the central business district (Albany Street), contains the village's largest, most intact concentration of architecturally and historically significant residential architecture. Lincklaen Street also includes a small collection of secondary commercial buildings and a church at the south end of the street. The west side of the block between Albany and Seminary Streets includes a small row of two- to three-story attached commercial buildings, most of which retain their original, nineteenth-century storefronts. North of the row, dominating the Seminary/Lincklaen Street intersection, is the imposing Methodist Church, a Romanesque Revival style brick edifice designed in 1872 by the regionally prominent architect Archimedes Russell. Occupying the west side of this block of Lincklaen Street is the Colonial Revival style Cazenovia Theater (ca.1900, formerly an opera house) and several non-contributing buildings, including the modern brick post office.
Seminary Street, a small east-west street connecting Lincklaen and Sullivan Streets, forms the northern end of Lincklaen Street's commercial block. The west end of Seminary Street features vernacular, mid-nineteenth century frame dwellings and the imposing Cazenovia Baptist Church (ca.1872), a large brick edifice with Gothic Revival style features. The east end of the street is visually dominated by the excluded buildings of Cazenovia College, most notably Williams Hall. Williams Hall, although dating from the nineteenth century, does not retain sufficient integrity to be included in the district. (The section of the campus fronting Lincklaen Street is also excluded from the district.)
North of Seminary Street, Lincklaen Street is a broad, tree-lined street characterized by a variety of remarkably intact residences generally dating from ca.1820 to ca.1930. Relatively sophisticated middle-class residences predominate. Most occupy small village lots and are set back from the street at a uniform distance. Numerous Federal and Greek Revival style dwellings survive intact. One and one-half to two-story, three-bay frame dwellings with gable ends oriented towards the street predominate. Many feature outstanding sophisticated period details, particularly around entrances and in gable ends. Also surviving are numerous examples of the Italianate style dating from the 1860s. Most exhibit the traditional two-story, three-bay, side- or center-hall form and have low-pitched hipped roofs with elaborate cornice embellishment; others exhibit an L-shaped configuration and have cross-gable roofs, another common Italianate style form. Very few intrusions compromise the integrity of the streetscape; non-contributing dwellings on Lincklaen Street are relatively unobtrusive. The northern boundary of the district on Lincklaen Street coincides with the village line near the Ten Eyck Avenue intersection. North of the village line, twentieth-century suburban development sprawls into the surrounding town. The neighborhood west of Lincklaen Street, comprised of Ten Eyck Avenue, South Ten Eyck Avenue, West Lincklaen Street and Lincklaen Drive, is a modern, residential enclave and is therefore excluded from the district. (Between West Lincklaen Street and Ten Eyck Avenue, only the east side of the block is included in the district; on the west side, north of #121, modern dwellings compromise the historic integrity of the streetscape.)
The previously listed Albany Street Historic District incorporated a small residential enclave southeast of the central business district defined by Allen, South and Mill Streets on the west, south and east, respectively. Allen and South Streets, encroached upon by twentieth century commercial development in the immediate vicinity (particularly parking lots), contain modest, vernacular, working-class houses on small lots. West and south of the block are heavily wooded, undeveloped lands surrounding the meandering Chittenango Creek as it flows east. Mill Street includes a small concentration of highly sophisticated, early- to mid-nineteenth century frame dwellings. Elegant Federal and Greek Revival style dwellings as well as the picturesque St. Peter's Episcopal Church and the Gothic Revival style cottage at 16 Mill Street characterize the streetscape, formerly the fashionable residential enclave occupied by affluent mill-owners who operated their industries along Chittenango Creek to the south.
The Cazenovia Village Historic District extends to encompass a small section of Riverside Drive and most of Chenango Street. Included is the Chaphne Cabinet Shop and Cooperage, a plain, mid-nineteenth century, frame industrial building on the south side of Riverside Drive, just east of the site of the no longer extant Chaphne Mill (now occupied by a large, modern, non-contributing cinderblock garage/warehouse). The rear property line of the Chaphne Cabinet Shop and Cooperage coincides with Chattenango Creek. The district boundary is drawn to include the New York State Dam on the north bank of the creek. The dam, built during the second quarter of the nineteenth century as a part of the feeder canal system, was erected on the site of an early nineteenth century mill dam which supplied power to a number of industrial activities in the immediate vicinity. Houses along Chenango Street south of the creek are, like those on Mill Street, relatively sophisticated dwellings formerly occupied by wealthy, mill-associated families. Notable early nineteenth century, Federal and Greek Revival style frame residences predominate, with several examples of sophisticated Italianate style dwellings as well. Gillette Lane, a subdivision containing modern residences, lies just beyond the southern boundary of the district, beyond which the rural, agrarian character of the town predominates.
The Cazenovia Village Historic District is an architecturally and historically significant concentration of residential, commercial, religious, civic, estate and industrial buildings which together reflect the historical development of the village of Cazenovia. The relatively high level of architectural sophistication and fine craftsmanship exhibited throughout the district reflects the village's prosperity during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, first as a commercial center for the surrounding agrarian town and as one of the hubs of early industrial activity in the area, through its late nineteenth century popularity as a lakeside resort community, to its twentieth century prominence as a wealthy bedroom community and center of recreation. The district encompasses the entire historic core of the village and includes Cazenovia's best, most intact concentration of architecturally and/or historically significant resources. The primary significance of the Cazenovia Village Historic District is architectural; the distinctive characteristics of a wide variety of popular American styles are embodied in the district's architecture. Significant examples of the Federal, Greek Revival, Gothic Revival, Italianate, Romanesque Revival, Queen Anne, Colonial Revival and Neoclassical are found throughout the district. Dating from ca.1795 to ca.1935, the district's resources reflect nearly every aspect of the village's historic development.
Reflecting the late eighteenth/early nineteenth century settlement period of the village are the Forman House and Forman Store at 24 and 26 Albany Street, respectively, and the Michael Day Tavern at 30 Albany Street, all believed to date from ca.1795. The substantially intact Forman House is a rare surviving example of a late-eighteenth century, vernacular, settlement period dwelling. Alterations to the tavern and store have compromised their original integrity. Their survival, however, enhanced by their intact setting and location on the village green, is rare, and they contribute to an understanding of the earliest history of the village. Slightly later and far more sophisticated is the architecturally distinguished Lorenzo, the 1807 estate of John Lincklaen, Cazenovia's founding father. The mansion is an outstanding example of the Federal style, characterized by a two-story, five-bay center-hall facade, typical in the region, and by handsome and sophisticated, classically inspired detailing. Other significant resources dating from the first decade of the century include the First Presbyterian Church and Old Manse, erected in 1806. Significant residential buildings dating from the early nineteenth century all embody distinctive characteristics of the Federal style. Numerous examples, mostly from the 1820s, are found throughout the district. Particularly notable dwellings include the numerous two-story, three-bay, finely crafted Federal style dwellings lining Lincklaen Street and scattered examples on Forman, Mill and Chenango Streets. A particularly distinguished example of the late Federal period is the Meadows, the 1826 estate of Jonathan D. Ledyard.
In spite of being bypassed by the Erie Canal in 1825, Cazenovia village continued to flourish.
* 348 buildings and 12 structures; 84 of the 348 buildings and one of the 12 structures were listed in the Albany Street Historic District and five of the 348 buildings and three of the twelve structures were included in the Lorenzo estate.
** previously included in the Albany Street Historic District
Chenango Street • Foreman Street • Lincklean Street • Rippleton Road • Union Street