County government offices are located at 1 Courthouse Square, Carlisle PA 17013; phone: 717‑240‑6100.
Photo: Benjamin Blythe Homestead (Hazel Glen, Blythestead), circa lathe 1700s, located at 217 Means Hollow Road, South Shippensburg. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. Photographed by User:Jerrye & Roy Klotz MD (own work), 2007, [cc-4.0], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed March, 2023.
When originally formed in 1750 Cumberland included all the Pennsylvania land west of the Susquehanna River and North of York County and Maryland. This territory was ultimately further divided forming 48 additional counties. The 33 municipalities include 11 boroughs and 22 townships. The county is home to Shippensburg campus of the University of Pennsylvania as well as Dickenson and Messiah Colleges.
Public school districts serving Cumberland include Big Spring, Camp Hill, Carlisle Area, Cumberland Valley, East Pennsboro Area, Mechanicsburg Area, Shippensburg Area, South Middleton, and West Shore.
Formed January 27,1750; named for county of Cumberland, England. One of the two or three rich agricultural valleys in the United States. Early industries were iron furnaces and forges. First settlers, Scotch-Irish, men of stout heart and wonderful nerve; almost contemporaneous with their building forts and providing means of protection for themselves and families, they established Presbyterian churches, the fine springs of the valley being selected as sites, namely, Silver Springs Church, nine miles west of the Susquehanna; Trindle Spring, now a Lutheran Church; Meeting House Spring, now First Presbyterian Church of Carlisle; curious old carvings are in Meeting House Springs burial ground; Big Spring Church, at Newville; and Middle Spring Church, above Shippensburg, a monument to Revolutionary soldiers is here; all continue in active existence.