Carl M. Neuhausen, Architect [1858-1907]
Carl M. Neuhausen [†] was Utah's only prominent architect to employ the Chateauesque style, reflecting both his talent and his German background. Neuhausen is best known for the Cathedral of the Madeleine, the Orpheum (Promised Valley) Theatre, and the Kearns Mansion. He designed a number of buildings for the Catholic Church in Utah, most of which have been demolished. Though less elaborate than his largest residences, Neuhausen's own house reflects his skillful use of eclectic, mannerist detailing.
Carl M. Neuhausen was born in Stuttgart, Germany, on October 8, 1858. He received his education from the public schools and went on to study architecture at the polytechnic institutions of Southern Germany. At 24, after having mastered the fundamentals of his profession, and having a desire to eventually come to America, he spent time in practice and in traveling through Germany in order to learn as much as possible of German architecture. After four years, at the age of 28, he came to America.
For a short time he lived in Iowa, then in St. Paul, Minnesota, where he married a young woman named Julia Liblum and assisted in designing several buildings in the St. Paul area. He lived some time in Helena, Montana.
The Neuhausens arrived in Salt Lake City in February of 1892 and for the first three years in the valley Mr. Neuhausen worked for Richard K.A. Kletting, a prominent Salt Lake architect. Together they designed, among other buildings, the Saltair Pavilion at the Saltair Resort.
On January 1, 1895, he established his own office in the old Dooly Building and earned an excellent reputation for versatility of style. He designed some of the largest structures in Salt Lake City. Among the more well-known are the Kearns Mansion, the Cathedral of the Madeleine, the Orpheum Theater (now the Promised Valley Playhouse), the Walker Bank Building, St. Ann's Orphanage, the J.D. Wood home (demolished), and the early buildings Holy Cross Hospital.
Mr. Neuhausen's private life was as rich and colorful as the buildings he designed. He was an active Republican, a member of the Catholic Church, an active member of both the Knights of Columbus and the Elk's Lodge, and served two years as councilman during Mayor Richard P. Morris' administration. His wife Julia bore him eight children, four boys and four girls.
† Tracy Lewis, School of Architecture, University of Utah, Carl. M. Neuhausen House, Salt Lake County, Utah, nomination document, 1980, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.