The earliest settlement was known as Bakers Ferry, and by the time of the Revolution it had become McConkey's Ferry. In 1777 Samuel Baker sold a large tract of his holdings to Benjamin Taylor. In 1829 a post office was established and the name was again changed, this time to Taylorsville, in honor of the newly appointed postmaster, John Taylor.
The ferry ceased operating in 1835 with the completion of a bridge. The wooden bridge was destroyed by flood in 1841, rebuilt, and destroyed again in 1903. The replacement and current bridge is a steel structure.
General De Fermoy Road • General Greene Road • General Hamilton Road • General Knox Road • General Mercer Avenue • General Saint Claire Road • General Stark Road • General Sullivan Road • General Washington Memorial Boulevard • Lord Sterling Road • River Road • Route 32