Orange County, Vermont
Photo: The Marvin Newton House, circa 1835, located on Ridge Road, Brookfield. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Photographed by wikipedia username: JMRDC, own work, 2014, via wikimedia commomns [cc-3.0], accessed December, 2022.
- Chelsea Town
- Thetford Town
- Bradford Vlg
- Braintree Town
- Brdford Town
- Brookfield Town
- Corinth Town
- Fairlee Town
- Newbury Town
- Newbury Vlg
- Orange Town
- Randolph Town
- Strafford Town
- Topsham Town
- Tunbridge Town
- Vershire Town
- Washington Town
- Wells River Vlg
- West Fairlee Town
- Williamstown Town
The Orange County Courthouse is located at 5 Court Street, Chelsea, VT 05038; phone: 802-685-4610.
Orange County was organized in 1781.
At the first session of the Vermont legislature, March, 1778, they divided the whole State into two counties, separated, rather indefinitely, by the range of the Green Mountains. The western division they called Bennington County and the eastern, Cumberland County. The legislature of 1781 divided this Cumberland County into three: namely, Windham, Windsor and Orange.
In the formation of Jefferson County, December 1, 1810, the name of which was changed to Washington County in 1814, the towns of Barre, Berlin, Northfield and Roxbury were cut off from Orange County and incorporated into the new county.
Orange County is bounded on the east by the Connecticut River and is located approximately midway (north and south) within the State. The population of the county in 1860 was approximately 25,500.
- Abby Maria Hemenway, editor, Vermont Historical Gazetteer, Volume II, Miss A. M. Hemenway, publisher, Burlington, VT, 1871.
- Bayley Historic District
- Bradford Village Historic District
- Brookfield Village Historic District
- Chase, Elwin, House
- Chelsea Village Historic District
- Depot Square Historic District
- May, Asa, House
- Morrill, Justin Smith, Homestead
- Newbury Town House
- Newbury Village Historic District
- Newton, Marvin, House
- Oxbow Historic District
- Randolph Center Historic District
- South Newbury Village Historic District
- Strafford Village Historic District
- Taplin, Major John, Farmstead
- Thetford Center Historic District
- Thetford Hill Historic District
- Tunbridge Village Historic District
- Wells River Village Historic District
- West Newbury Village Historic District
- Whitcomb, Harlie, Farm
Home Whats New Site Index
LivingPlaces.com © 1997‑2023
Search Contact Privacy Disclaimer